Friday 1 August 2014

Self-motivation, the foundation of good game design (part 2 of 3)



2. Self-motivation, the foundation of good game design

Perhaps the essential difference between play and taking part in a game is to do with motivation; play, as defined by Kane (2005) is fundamentally fun, and therefore universally loved. A game, while it may be enjoyable, can also be unenjoyable. I recently spent some time researching by playing games such as World of Warcraft, Pac-Man and other games of entertainment. (I am working…honest!)

Received wisdom suggests that the motivation for such games is based on them being fun; I learn, but only as a function of needing to know more about the game so that I could become better at taking part. The obvious flaw in this seamless segue is that when I failed to find fun in the games, I no longer had any motivation to play. Clearly, I was motivated by the need to complete the research, but the motivation to continue was nothing to do with any subtlety of design; rather it was the stick of not being able to complete the research that drove me to continue playing the game.

This was my game design Damascene moment; games are not inherently motivational for everyone. It is assumed that turning a piece of digital training into a game will inherently make it engaging for everyone; this seems a truism. In fact, the converse is the case.  

The scales fell from my eyes when I got to level 10 of World of Warcraft. Boredom with Pac-Man and Space Invaders is understandable. There is minimal storyline and little chance of personal, team or societal enhancement. World of Warcraft is very different. This is a real-time, 3-dimensional, multiplayer world. The graphics are astounding, when compared to Space Invaders. A player can design their own character, there are various quests, opportunities to collaborate with other avatars and, intriguingly, a player can also choose to be a bad guy. What's not to love? 

The narrative of massively multiple online role-playing games (MMORPG) is regarded as core to their intrinsic motivational design. (Dickey, 2006). The flexibility of the narrative enables players to have their avatar participate in various small quests, earning rewards and enhancing their character’s skills and capabilities. The game is a smorgasbord of motivational titbits, with weapons, armour, skills, spells and other offerings to accumulate as awards for achieving tasks. You can even go off-piste should the mood take you. This is a truly astounding piece of games design. So why did my epic journeys as Devan (my night elf alter ego) become an increasingly unwelcome trudge?

After considerable reflection, I discovered that I had no empathy with the character or his struggle. This may seem odd, as it was me who created Devan, but the premise of the game is one of empathy. The game expects, and I expected, to become as one with Devan, as Paul Gee (2003) became emotionally invested in his avatar, Bead. If this bonding occurs, then there is enormous potential for Csikszentmihalyi’s flow (Csikszentmihalyi, 1992). Flow demands a deep commitment to a subject, which the gamer/avatar bond can engender. Unfortunately, if that bond fails to grow, the weight of guilt that the failure to develop a visceral connection with one's pixelated progeny engenders is overwhelming. I began to subconsciously invest Devan with unpleasant character traits. I considered him smug and somewhat self-absorbed, while still feeling that he and his world were essentially unbelievable; three-dimensional failings heaped on a two-dimensional failure.

Why did I not connect with the entire world (of Warcraft)? It is not due to any dislike of the fantasy genre...video box sets of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (two so far) demonstrate my ability to willingly suspend disbelief in other realms. I think it was the carnage. World of Warcraft takes the character from one “slaughter-fest” to the next, with intervals of trying to find items which will provide rewards of additional weaponry for attack or defence. I could not empathise with Devan because the personal goals enforced on the character by the game designers were so alien to my own. Any element of nurture or moral growth in Devan was always more than counterbalanced by the inevitability of his butchery of a group of orcs in the next quest. I had game-fatigue. Even when I took part in a team quest I felt only relief when I was killed and could metaphorically slink away. 

I know that many of my colleagues loved World of Warcraft and their characters. My disagreement is no criticism; I am not right and they wrong. The key point is that, despite all the motivational rewards, impressive graphics, complex storylines and opportunities to collaborate with team mates, there was insufficient intrinsic or extrinsic motivation, as defined by Abuhamdeh and Csikszentmihalyi (2009), for me to continue playing that particular game. The journey offered me no personal, team or social goals to which I could relate; "I level up, therefore I am" just does not achieve any motivational state for me. My motivation for playing World of Warcraft was the worst sort of extrinsic; it was a means to an end.

For games to succeed in engendering flow, they must be fun and help to develop that state where continuing, even through adversity or with immense effort, is the only thing one wishes to do. However, just being a game does not mean that an activity is fun or makes one want to play. This raises the question of how to stimulate play, without the problem of instilling game-fatigue. MMORPGs attempt this by presenting the gamer with a series of small quests. Their brevity makes it less likely to trigger repetitive strain injury of the imagination. However, the overarching narrative, so often a battle between opposing forces, means that all missions are no more than a microcosm of the whole.


References

Abuhamdeh S. and Csikszentmihalyi M. (2009) Intrinsic and extrinsic motivational orientations in the competitive context: an examination of person-situation interactions.
Csikszentmihalyi, M (1992) Flow: The Psychology of Happiness
Dickey, M. D. (2006, June). Game Design Narrative for Learning: Appropriating Adventure Game
Gee, J. P. (2003) What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy?
Kane, P. (2005) "A general theory of play" from Kane, P., The play ethic: a manifesto for a different way of living pp.35-64

No comments:

Post a Comment